Saturday, February 16, 2013

Lent

I'm determined to make this the best Lent ever.  Started with Ash Wednesday service at St Mark the Evangelist Parish in Londonderry.  I filled multiple ministry roles and really felt part of the mass.  I thought the mass was about 30 minutes long and when I checked my watch, found it had been an hour.  I was also privileged to distribute ashes to the parishioners.  I haven't attended many Ash Wednesday Masses in my past, I've usually been traveling.  A good beginning to Lent.

Then we all heard that Pope Benedict XVI ha resigned.  A bit of a surprise.  Quite a holy man, and a terrific writer.  I will miss him as the Holy Father.  He's exhibited tremendous courage in taking this path.  If you;ve watched the media, they seem to think with his resignation, all of a sudden the Church will elect a Pope that will implement American liberalism into the church on many issues.  Funny how the media thinks that all of a sudden the church will believe a different 'truth' than in our tradition.  Truth doesn't change based on opinion.

Last night we had our first night of dinners we served for parishioners at St Mark's.  I then got to lead Stations of the Cross and other than my atrocious singing voice it was a great experience.  Then we had Session 1 of Living the Eucharist.

This morning was Men of St Joseph and I was fortunate enough to lead the men in Liturgy of the Hours and was inspired and gave a reflection on the reading.  It was great practice prior to giving homilies.

I'm hoping to get back to updating the blog more regularly with more than photos.  We have a class coming up in the letters of Paul that looks quite challenging though.  I also have a trip in the middle of that class to Anaheim, CA  Perhaps a few posts and photos from CA.

No comments:

Post a Comment