Saturday, September 10, 2011

Making Progress

Another week has flown by.  This one had a holiday to begin the week - and a welcomed day off.  I accomplished quite a bit - fixing some things around the house and spending a bit of time helping my brother to continue to prepare my parent's house for sale.

Today I've also accomplished a few things.  I attended the Men of St Joseph monthly meeting in Litchfield.  Two Diaconate candidates are members there and a third regularly attends.  I volunteered to speak in November, so I went to get to know some folks and become familiar with my surroundings for my upcoming talk.  I am also speaking at our parish's MoSJ meeting next week, so I came home and drafted the outline for my talk.  Can't give away the topic, so that will be next week.

Planning to spend some time with my brother and his wife tonight having dinner.  K is working at the school, so just me heading out.  The place has Karaoke - good thing I am going alone, that means no drinking because I am driving so it spares all those poor patrons from my singing.

Today I also watched a video on another blog of an atheist chastising a Christian on a call in/television type show.  The question that resonated with me was when one of the two atheist hosts asked "Why are you a Christian" and "Why should anyone believe what we believe."  His argument is that when he (the atheist) was a Christian, his beliefs were without any rational justification and no evidence to support those beliefs.

My take away was more personal.  Am I prepared to answer those questions?  If not - better prepare!  After spending the afternoon thinking about it, I am comfortable that I've got my answer for myself.  But I still need to think about this quite a bit more because that first answer will be followed by more questions and challenges and I need to be prepared for them with good, strong rational answers, even if they ultimately lead to faith, which can't be scientifically proven.

Depp thinking for the next few days as class begins on Tuesday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment