Monday, July 11, 2011

Weekends fly by...

Had C's graduation party on Saturday and also went through Mom's jewelry before the party and equally dispensed that among the children and our spouses.  Had a good time with family.  It brought to mind a few things.  First, I think I mentioned this in an earlier post, but it's good to get together with family.  After your parents die, you no longer have that reason to all get together at the central meeting location with the emphasis on visiting with your parents.  Instead, I think it leaves you to life's business and you need to find the time to spend with each other.  It becomes more difficult.
Second, I pointed out to my brothers that I never envisioned a time when both our parents were not here.  Another thing that really sneaks up on you.  Suddenly, you are older and your parents are older also and poof!  they're gone.  We saw it coming in both parents - not their passing, rather just that they were getting older and their time was getting shorter.  We all noticed it in my dad, that it seemed like all at once his body had aged significantly.  I saw the same in mom, that although active, her body just started showing its age suddenly.

Sunday was more family time - had tickets to the Lowell Spinners.  It came with free food (thanks Toots!) and I used the opportunity to bring along my new Nikon and give it a try.  I still have to learn how to take advantage of the new features, but that will come with some studying.

Sunday mass was one of the very few occasions where none of us had an assigned ministry.  It was nice to reflect on the mass without the need to focus on a ministry.

This coming week looks good for work activity with a few visits planned.  Saturday brings Men of St Joseph, a Men's Ministry where I just joined the leadership team.  I have a few activities this week including leading the prayer portion.  I plan to lead everyone on Liturgy of the Hours Morning Prayer.  I was originally planning to read the day's mass reading and offer a reflection, but the gospel just didn't speak to me this week.  I'll need to find another opportunity for that since I wanted to use it as a speaking and "homily-type" experience.

Will post a few pics later today from the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment