Saturday, December 24, 2011

A Second Update - Our Holy Father

Just finished watching the Patriots beat the Dolphins.  At the end of the game, I switched to EWTN and watched the Solemn Mass of Christmas Eve from the Vatican with Pope Benedict XVI.  I am in awe of our Holy Father. I feel so connected to him for a few reasons.  Although Pope John Paul II was much beloved, being in Formation in the Diaconate makes me feel so much closer.  Having visited Rome and the Vatican a few years ago, it is another reason I feel more connected to Pope Benedict.  Lastly, Pope Benedict is one of our most published Popes having written many, many books.  I have read about 12 or so of his books and have at least another 16 or so in queue.  Some are very deep and some are very simple with several in the middle.  Having read so much by Pope Benedict, my faith has deepened due to his writings.  In my studies of Vatican II, although both he and Pope JPII were present, I've paid special attention to his participation at Vatican II as well as his service under Pope JPII.

K and I are planning to go to Rome in 2013 with my brother and sister-in-law.  Watching this, expecting that I will be taking the Rite of Acolyte in 2013 with my brothers in Formation makes my plans for this trip even more special.   With the recent speculation on the health of the Holy Father by the media, he certainly looks fantastic at this Mass, especially for 85 years of age.  Perhaps at this planned trip I'll have time to pray at the tomb of Pope John Paul II.  Didn't get to spend much time at St Peter's Basilica in 2009.  Watch for a few pictures of my previous trip to Rome in the next few days.

1 comment:

  1. Watching this was very moving. Our Holy Father is amazing.

    ReplyDelete