Friday, December 2, 2011

Homily

Well, we're off tomorrow for the weekend, up to Contoocook.  Our Formation Weekend for Homiletics.  It's an introduction, so not sure what to expect.  We know the food will be great, lots of fresh coffee in the new coffee pots and great fellowship time with all the other candidates, their wives, other deacons and priests.

We've been assigned to lead night prayer.  Not much anxiety there.  When we first got assigned to do Morning Prayer a few months ago, we were frantically practicing in our room until 11 at night.  Being a perfectionist is tough - I wanted to be flawless in my first outing leading the group.  I even led the hymn - I bet everyone was glad they chimed in singing quickly.  When even your mother can't bear to hear you sing, you know you have no voice.  Anyway, I prepared for night prayer and although we haven't led it before, I'm comfortable enough for doing it for the first time.  Perhaps the Lord has provided me peace in that forum, praying and leading the group. One of the candidates who is highly gifted with music brings music for all the sessions now, so that will be stress free.

So my anxiety for being tasked with a sample homily has subsided a bit.  I'm still anxious and fearful of the unknown, but it is part of Formation and like my peers, I'll get through it, and certainly improve and become more comfortable over time.

Two days from now it will all be behind us and then we can look forward to our new spa and an upcoming trip for me to NY & NJ.

I'll write when we return if not sooner on how it went.

No comments:

Post a Comment