Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Candidate!

Just got home from a tremendously emotional and joyous weekend, culminating in the Rite of Candidacy at St Theresa Parish in Henniker, NH.  Twenty three Aspirants in Formation for the Permanent Diaconate were accepted as Candidates by the Bishop.  The Formation Weekend was filled with tears of joy and some sadness that my parents and father-in-law had passed away over the last few years.  I'm not very emotional, but the awe of this weekend and where I am spiritually is overwhelming.  The bond we have developed as community over the past 9 months is something I have never experienced before.

In attendance (in addition to my wife and children) was my brother and his wife, two families from the parish and three priests of several ordained clergy that has inspired me along the way.  My son served at altar for the bishop during the service which made it even more memorable for me and we both spoke with the bishop after mass.

It was very moving to have my former pastor, present pastor and spiritual director (all priests) in attendance and even better, my alb did not arrive in time so I was fortunate to borrow one from my present pastor, who had to inform me I had put it on backwards prior to the service.  Rookie mistake!  They all seemed tremendously proud of my progress as well as the whole community of Aspirants progressing to Candidacy!  Now were are coming down off such a high from the experience.  I shared with several brother Candidates that I was moved to tears by the experience and they too had the same reaction.  If/when we reach ordination, I'm afraid we'll all be blubbering crying fools!

So we are off for the summer before picking up studies in the fall.  I cannot wait!  I have not been in class with my peers this year, and although the studies will be twice per week and very demanding, I am really excited about the educational experience with these men.

As moving as anything else was seeing a fellow Aspirant (1 of 2) that discerned out of Formation this year.  We all miss him and understand the choices that some of may have to make along the way.  Having him join us during the service was another aspect that moved me to tears.  Usually K has enough tears for both of us, but the joy we are finding in Formation is more than words can describe.  I've only participated in Formation Weekends this year and after the first one not knowing anyone, now having done six, they are the most exciting part of my life.

Tomorrow morning I'm off to Baltimore for the week, but after this high point, I'll be sure to expand more...

No comments:

Post a Comment